2012-08-28

Running MPD as user

Setting up mpd was already explained a few posts ago. I enjoy each day since then. However, I came across some strange problems at startup (I do not restart this computer really often, mostly using stand-by instead).

After a bit of search, I found the culprit: mpd itself. Using the sudo apt-get install mpd is setting up mpd as system service, using /etc/mpd.conf as configuration. Since I wanted to get mpd started at user login, not as system service, I had mpd ~/mpd/.mpdcon & in the .profile. This collided with the already started mpd service...

The explanation found on Wikia is well done and detailed. The interesting part is the second step:

/etc/init.d/mpd stop
sudo update-rc.d mpd disable
Once this is done, the system wide mpd service is disabled. One can use also the next tip using START_MPD=false in the config file that should not be used (this one: /etc/mpd.conf).

No comments:

Post a Comment