2012-01-17

Mint trial

After lots of playing around with my Ubuntu box, I eventually managed to get some strange effects I could not solve with my poor knowledge of the system. Since I've heard it is not difficult to reinstall the system and keep my settings, I decided to give it a try.

It's almost enough to keep one's home directory as backup, all settings for various applications are safe this way and do not need to be reconfigured after the reinstallation is done.

But since I got quite some problems at first with Unity, then could use it but was not pleased with it, I decided to try something different. Linux Mint seemed to be quite popular too. This is what I choose to replace my standard Ubuntu (using XFCE instead of Unity).

After two weeks of Mint, I am ready to remove it and go back to plain Ubuntu (well, still avoiding Unity, of course). The reason? even if the desktop looks nice, this is not much more than a front and not much behind other than an Ubuntu with less accessible configuration over the GUI.
Also, using this box also as a jukebox, it makes no sense when Banshee and Rhythmbox were both instable, and sometime the system seemed to have slow down to the point I had to reboot.

So, next install? next try with Linux? I'll try again Ubuntu, this time with XBMC, let see what happens :)

No comments:

Post a Comment